The Philippine Daily Inquirer recently ran a story saying that employers in Singapore now have to pay domestic helpers at least SGD 550. This is SGD 50 more than the former minimum amount of SGD 500. This developed after the Indonesian embassy in Singapore made an announcement that domestic helpers from that country had to be paid SGD at least SGD 550. While the Philippine embassy in Singapore did not come out with an announcement of its own, it was reportedly processing fewer applications for the employment of domestic helpers since many of the applications made mention of salaries deemed too low. What does this mean? Domestic helpers in Singapore thus get a pay raise of SGD 50 to a maximum of SGD 150 depending on how much they currently get. So, paano? Gimik na? Maybe it’s best if we begin by talking about what not to do. Pero paano mo nga ba malalaman kung paano at ano ba ang dapat mong iwasan? Siguro naranasan mo na dati na maraming lumalapit o umaaligid sa iyo basta may pera ka. Ganoon talaga. Basta meron ka, kapag tumaas ang sahod mo, may gusto agad makinabang. Ang malungkot, minsan iyong itinuturing mo pang kaibigan o mismong kamag-anak mo pa ang ganoon. What we need now is to discuss what we shouldn’t be doing with our money especially in a place that’s not our country. These things we DON’T suggest you do:
- Be a guarantor in someone’s loan. There are just way too many stories of friendships crumbling and a kawawang Pilipino having to avoid jail time because he or she was a guarantor in someone else’s loan. How does this even start? Person A wants to get a loan because of whatever reason. Gambling is one reason and starting a new business is another. Problem is, Person A needs a guarantor so that the lender of money will allow the loan. What this means is that if you become the guarantor, you’re telling the lender that if Person A, who borrowed the money, can’t pay the loan, the lender can look at you and ask you for the money. You sure you want to be in that situation? Also, be aware that some money lenders are notorious in Singapore for resorting to scare tactics or even physical violence to get their money back. Just check the news. If someone asks that you become a guarantor, politely say “No.” If that “friend” doesn’t meet with you anymore after that, congratulations! You’ve been able to find a “non-friend” and you’re better off being far away from that person.
- Start lending money. When some people hear that you’re now earning more, they think that it’s okay to borrow money. No, you do not become an evil person if you say “No.” This is both for Singapore friends or friends and family back home. Real friends and family will understand. Fair-weather friends who are only out to get money will leave. Best to know now who they are and find some real friends who will love and care for you regardless of how much money you have.
- Start looking for business opportunities indiscriminately. Some people will entice you with this or that get-rich scheme wherein you have to be a member of their group and pay regular fees.
Unless you’re very business-savvy or have someone who can truly look after your welfare, don’t fall into this trap. Even those supposedly proven companies listed with the New York Stock Exchange require you to buy and sell their consumer products costing four, five, six, or even more times than your usual toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc. These products may be nice but face it, to make real money, you need to recruit more people and you just don’t have that time unless you want to risk not doing your real job.Also remember: Doing business is not for everyone and it isn’t easy. The greater majority of start-ups end up closing their doors and the owners looking for work. There is no shame in admitting that you’re really best in working with an organisation rather than leading one. Forcing yourself to lead an organisation when you are obviously not the next Mark Zuckerberg may just be disastrous. Worse, that trust your present employer has in you may forever be lost.
- Give in to the usual requests. People will ask for what they usually ask for – chocolates, shoes, laptops, cell phones, tablets, etc. Unless it’s Christmas, give a very gentle “No.” When it is Christmas or maybe someone’s birthday or graduation, have a definite budget for gifts. Listen to requests and consider them and then put these requests beside your set budget. If they don’t fit in your budget, they don’t fit in your budget. Move on. There are more important things like looking at what your family REALLY needs.
- Get involved in a one-way relationship. Yes, you may be lonely at times but there will always be people who truly value you who will not keep asking for material things. If you notice that in your relationship, you need to keep paying for trips, food, and even clothes, cell phones, computers, etc. you are definitely in a relationship that’s beneficial for just one party and that party is not you. Get out and find friends who don’t care how much money you have.
So ano na lang ang gagawin mo? Pag-uusapan pa natin ito at dapat mong abangan ang mga maaari mong gawin sa pera mo.
Ang una mong dapat gawin ay tignan kung ano nga ba ang mga tunay na pangangailangan mo at ng pamilya mo sa Pilipinas. Dapat sa mga ito naaayon ang mga plano mo.
Actually, it’s only in the beginning where this is an issue. You have to figure things out at the very start, stick to it as much as possible, and only changing your plans when true emergencies happen. Remember: Hindi true emergency and bagong labs na iPhone na gusto ng asawa o kapatid mo.
Ang pinakamainam mong gawin ngayon? Pumunta na sa BeamAndGo at pumili ng mga bagay na tunay na kailangan ng mga minamahal.
23 thoughts on “Dagdag Sahod Pang OFW: Wag ipagsapalaran”
Paano gawin? Kasi need ko talaga mag ipon,, pero maubos lang sa pians at sa luho ko,, diko mapigilan sa gastos
Hello, Mary Jean!
I’ll be sending you an email so we can talk more about this.
Thank you for supporting BeamAndGo! Mabuhay ang mga OFW!
Paano nga ba magkaroon mg extra income while in Abroad?
Maraming salamat sa pag-message sa amin. We will be sending you an email separately. Pakitignan na lang sa Gmail account mo.
Thanks BeamAndGo… looking forward for more gifts and surprises for our love ones….
Maraming salamat din, Myeme!
Maraming salamat sa comment mo. Please give us more details on what you need to know. We will be glad to help you out in any way we can. Please send an email to email@example.com.
Ingat ka parati!
pano po ba ako maka avail ng beam and go eh wala naman sa mga list of supermarket nyo ung dun sa amin Bangued Abra po.at need k po advise nyo for an extra income.thanks po.
We’re still in the process of adding more merchants to our list. Do let us know what the supermarkets are in Bangued Abra so that we can contact them.
me too pano mka ipon.
Para sa marami sa atin, saving habits and investment habits ang isang mahalagang matutunan. Prioritizing ang mahalaga dito. May mga seminar kaming binibigay tungkol sa mga bagay na iyan at sana may magawa kaming seminar na mapuntahan mo. Nasaang bansa ka ba ngayon?
Para makatulong na rin sa iyo, subukan mong basahin ang mga blog post namin. Hindi ito para madagdagan ang sahod mo pero para mas magamit mo ang perang nasasaiyo na.
Maraming salamat at mag-iingat ka sana parati.
Pano po makakapag upon ngayong HND nmn sapat ung sahod at isa pa ang hirap mg budget mg isa mo LNG ng hahanap buhay…single parent po….
Maraming salamat sa pagtanong mo sa amin.
Iba-iba talaga ang mga kinakaharap nating mga magulang pero mas mahirap nga naman talaga ang pagiging single parent. Ngayon pa lang saludo na kami sa iyo.
Dito sa BeamAndGo, tumutulong kasi sa mga OFW na tulad mo sa pamamagitan ng mga financial management seminar. May inaayos kami ngayon diyan sa Singapore kaya babalitaan ka namin as soon as sigurado na ang mga detalye. Kailangan nating lahat kasing matuto kung paano nga ba magagamit nang mabuti ang pera natin.
Bukod dito, ang pinakatulong namin ay sa daan ng mga digital gift certificate (GC). Sa halip na magpadala ka ng pera sa mga minamahal mo, magpapadala ka na lang ng digital GC para sa Generika Drugstore, halimbawa, para doon lang sila maaaring pumunta. Kung groceries naman, puede mong piliin ang Super 8 o Gaisano at iba pa. Hindi tuloy puedeng malustay ang pera mo.
Sa aming blog naman, meron pa kaming mga blog post na puede mong basahin tungkol sa pag-aayos ng pera mo. Silipin mo muna ang mga ito:
Ito ang bonus: Hanggang sa dulo ng buwang ito ng Pebrero, lahat ng mg miyembro na ng BeamAndGo na makakapagrekumenda ng isa pang tao para maging miyembro ay bibigyan ng Php 100 na credit sa bawat successful na sign up ng bagong miyembro. Itong credits na ito ay puede mong ipambili rin ng GC na maaaring magamit ng mga mahal mo sa buhay.
Email ka lang sa amin sa firstname.lastname@example.org kung may tanong ka pa.
Trabaho lang at kaunting tiis. Giginhawa rin ang buhay.
The BeamAndGo Team
Hi! Paano mg-join? Gusto ko tlaga mgkaroon ng Iba pang pwedeng income at mkaipon, matagal n akong ngwowork abroad kulang p ang sahod ko para s family ko. Pls… Email me at email@example.com kung paano mg-join? Thanks
Thank you for your support of BeamAndGo.
We will be emailing you.
Thank you and take care always.
The BeamAndGo Team
How to save and what way?
Thank you for patiently waiting for our response.
We, at BeamAndGo, organize financial literacy courses at times to help Filipinos manage their funds and plan their finances. Aside from these, we also have blog posts that address these concerns. For now, here are a few that deal specifically with handling what money you have:
While not about saving in the strict sense of the word, BeamAndGo and its platform for sending digital gift certificates to your loved ones allows you a much more secure and efficient way of sending groceries, medicine, insurance, etc. so that you don’t run the risk of your hard-earned money going into things that you did not want to spend on. If you buy a digital gift certificate (GC) to Generika Drugstore for your father’s medicine, the people back home receiving the GC can only use it in a Generika branch and nowhere else.
If you want to learn more about this, go to our website, http://www.beamandgo.com, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out our Facebook page or our Youtube channel
Thanks and take care always.
I don’t understand what’s beamango is all about?? Please email me the details on it..! Thanks
BeamAndGo is a new and very effective and secure way for you to send help to your loved ones. Instead of sending money for groceries, for example, you can send them digital gift certificates from BeamAndGo to be used with specific merchants like Super 8 or Gaisano supermarkets so that there is hardly any chance of the money you sent being spent for other things. If you send a digital gift certificate for the Generika drugstore, it can only be used there. Nobody can use your mother’s medicine money for their own shopping. Read more about it at our website: http://www.beamandgo.com.
If you have any questions our customer service guys will happy address these or you can send us your question at email@example.com.
Thank you and take care always.
Hi, poh! Interesting topic. Details please. Thanks You. ☺
.nasa UK ako.interesado ako dyan po.panu?